Document Type : Article
Assistant Prof. in Law, The Institute For Management And Planning Studies (IMPS), Tehran, Iran
As a result of the principle of legality of taxation, statute law is the main basis in the relationship between the taxpayer and the government. Therefore, the interpretive approach to statutory laws on taxation has considerable effects on the legal position of taxpayers as well as the rights and obligations of both the taxpayer and the government. Some interpretive approaches, such as literal interpretation, result in the formation of principles like restrictive interpretation and interpretation in favor of taxpayer and enable taxpayers to manage their legal position so as to avoid tax obligations. But legal loopholes resulting from the literal interpretation of tax statutes might lead to the liberal interpretation of these statutes. It might also give more interpretation authority to judges on the basis of economic goals of the statute, the purpose of the statute and the intention of legislature in order to resolve the textual ambiguity in a statute. This article attempts to analyze and explain the particular elements and factors of tax statute interpretation on the basis of scholarly opinions, comparative law studies and judgments of judicial and tax authorities.
- A) Books
- Aristole (2019), Ethics, Translated by Reza Mashayekhi, Tehran, and Negah Publications (In Persian).
- Avery, Jones, John And Harris, Peter And Oliver, David (2008), Comparative Perspectives On Revenue Law, Cambridge, Cambridge University Press.
- Emami, Hassan (1998), Civil Law, Second Edition, Tehran, the Islamic Bookstore (In Persian).
- Harris, Peter And Oliver, David (2010), International Commercial Tax, Cambridge, Cambridge University Press.
- Jafari Langroudi, Mohammad Jafar (1996), Legal Encyclopedia, Second Edition, Tehran, Amir Kabir Publications Institute (In Persian).
- ------------------------------------- (2003), legal schools in Islam jurisprudence, Tehran, Ganj Danesh Library. (in Persian)
- Katouzian, Amir Naser (2012), Philosophy of Law, Vol. II, Fourth Edition, Tehran, Enteshar Publications (In Persian).
- Mcmeel, Gerard (2007). The Construction Of Contract Interpretation, Implication, And Rectification,Oxford, Oxford University Press.
- Murphy, Liam And Nagel, Thomas (2002), The Myth Of Ownership, Taxes And Justice, New York, Oxford University Press.
- Rawls, John (2019), Justice As Fairness, Translated By Erfan, Sabety, Tehran, and Ghoghnous Publications (In Persian).
- Thuronyi, Victor (1996), Tax Law Design And Drafting, Vol. 1, Chapter 2, Legal Framework For Taxation, International Monetory Fund.
- Thuronyi,Victor (2003), Comparative Tax Law, Hague, Kluwer Law International.
- Tiley, John And Loutzenhiser, Glen (2012), Revenue Law, Oxford, Hart Publishing Ltd.
- Tiley, John (2004), Studies In The History Of Tax Law, Oxford And Portland Oregon.
- B) Aticels
- Asuzu, Chinua (2017)," Interpreting Tax Statutes: Should Judges Fight Tax Avoidance?" Available At Ssrn: Https://Ssrn.Com/Abstract=3063961 Or Http://Dx.Doi.Org/10.2139/Ssrn.3063961.
- Avery, Jones (1996)," Tax Law, Rules Or Principles", Instiutes For Fiscal Studies.
- Barker, B William (2003), "Statutory Interpretation, Comparative Law, And Economic Theory", Discovering The Ground Of Income Taxation, San Diego Law Review,Vol. 40.No 3, pp. 828-880.
- Choi,Janathan H, (2020),”The Substantive Canon Of Tax Law”, Stanford Law Review, Vol. 72.
- Choi,Jonathan (2020), "An Empirical Study Of Statutory Interpretation In Tax Law",New York University Law Review, Vol. 95.
- Christians, Allison (2014), " Avoidance, Evasion, And Taxpayer Morality", Washington University Journal Of Law And Policy, Vol. 44.
- Cunningham, Noel B, Repetti, James R (2004), "Textualism And Tax Shelter", Boston College Law School Research Paper No. 28, Virginia Law Review, Vol. 24, No 1.
- Galle, Brian (2006), "Interpretative Theory and Tax Shelter Regulation" Virginia Tax Review, Fsu College of Law, Public Law Research Paper, No. 212.
- Grewal, Andy (2015)," Economic Substance And The Supreme Court", Tax Notes,Vol. 116, No.
- Katouzian, Amir Naser (2004),"Logical principles governing the interpretation of the constitution" Journal Of The Faculty Of Law And Political Science, University Of Tehran, Issue 66, December (In Persian).
- Lawsky,Sarah B (2009)," Probably? Understanding Tax Law S Uncertainty", University Of Pennsylvania Law Review, Vol. 157.
- McCormack, Shannon Weeks (2009), "Tax Shelters And Statutory Interpretation: A Much Needed Purposive Approach", University Of Illinois Law Review, Vol. 2009, No. 3, Last Revised 2012.
- Rostami, Vali (2009),"The rights of taxpayers ", Law Quarterly, Journal of the Faculty of Law and Political Science, University Of Tehran, Vol. 39, Issue 1, March 2009, pp. 107-128 (In Persian).
- Rostami, Vali and Mohammadi, Fatemeh and Ranjbar, Masoud (2017), "Legal Review Of The Role Of Tax In Political Development And Democracy", Law Studies Quarterly, Vol. 47, Issue 3, pp. 601-620 (In Persian).