Document Type : Article
Ph.D. Student in Public Law, Department of Public Law, Faculty of Law, University of Qom, Qom, Iran
Associate Prof, Department of International Law, Faculty of Law, University of Qom, Qom, Iran
An international non-governmental organization is a volunteered self-established non-profit organization which advocates public interests. The role of non-governmental organizations which inherently pursue public interests, are significant and have been recognized at different levels. Meanwhile, according to the European Convention of Human Rights and its protocols, especially Protocol No. 11, as well as the case law of the European Court of Human Rights, the possibility of non-governmental organizations’ participation in the Court’s proceedings has been accepted in three forms: plaintiff, plaintiff’s representative, and amicus curiae. AS such, international non-governmental organizations have an extensive role in the proceedings of the European Court of Human Rights. This study aims to examine this role.
- A) Books
- Anna-Karin, Lindblom (2014), Non-Governmental Organisations in International Law, Cambridge, Cambridge University Press.
- Donna, Gomien (1996), Law and Practice of the European Convention on Human Rights and the European Social Charter (1998), Strasbourg, Council of Europe Publishing.
- David, Held (1995), Democracy and the Global Order: From the Modern State to Cosmoplitan Governance, Stanford, Stanford University Press.
- Ghazanfari, Hengame (2015), NGOs and International Peas Process, Tehran, Mizan Legal Foundation (In Persian).
- Ghasemi, GholamAli (2013), The International Law of NGOs, Tehran, Khorsandi Publishing (In Persian).
- Jean, Salmon (2001), Dictionnaire de droit international public, Bruxelles, Bruylant Publishing.
- Maiani, Francesco (2016), The Principle of Subsidiarity and the Margin of Appreciation Doctrine in the European Court Of Human Rights Post-2011 Jurisprudence, Lausanne University Press.
- Mashhadi, Ali; Taskhiri, Mohammadsaleh (2013), Essential of NGOs Law, Tehran, Khorsandi Publishing (In Persian).
- Salamon et.al. (1996), The Emerging Nonprofit Sector: An Overview, Manchester University Press.
- Tohidi, AhmadReza (2014),The Law of International Organizations, Tehran, Mizan Legal Foundation (In Persian).
- Talaei, Farhad (2010),The Law of International Organizations, Tehran, Javedaneh publishing (In Persian).
- B) Articles
- Abiri, Armaghan (2012), “The Role of NGOs in Human Rights Protection in ECHR Practice”, Journal of Law Researches, Vol.11, No.22 (In Persian).
- Cichowski, Rachel, A. (2016), “The European Court of Human Rights, Amicus Curiae, and Violence against Women”, Law & Society Review, Vol. 50.
- Dolidze, Anna (2016), “Bridging Comparative and International Law: Amicus Curiae Participation as a Vertical Legal Transplant ”, The European Journal of International Law, Vol. 26, No. 4.
- Dinah, Shelton (1994), “The Participation of Nongovernmental Organizations in International Judicial Proceedings”, American Journal of International Law, Vol. 88.
- Eynde Laura ,Van den (2013), “An Empirical Look at the Amicus Curiae Practice of Human Rights NGOs Before the European Court of Human Rights”, Netherlands Quarterly of Human Rights, Vol. 31, No.3.
- Heidi Nicolas, Haddad (2012), “Judicial Institution Builders: NGOs and International Human Rights Courts”, Journal of Human Rights, Vol. 11.
- Ghazanfari, Hengameh; Beygzadeh, Ebrahim (2011), “The role of international NGOs in consolidating peace”, Journal of law Research, Vol. 15, No.9 (In Persian).
- Ghasemi, Gholam Ali;, Taskhir, Mohammad saleh (2017), “International Legal Personality of Non-Governmental Organizations”, Journal of Public Law, Vol. 19, No.55 (In Persian).
- Ghari Seyyed Fatemi, Seyyed Mohammad (2000), “The New European Court of Human Rights”, Journal of International Law, Vol. 18, No.25 (In Persian).
- Lloyd Hitoshi, Mayer (2011), “NGO Standing and Influence in Regional Human Rights Courts and Commissions” Scholarly Works. Paper 54.
- Ramezani ghavamabadi, Mohammad hosein (2008), “The Presence of NGOs before International Tribunals”, Journal of Private Law Studies, Vol. 38, No.2 (In Persian).
- Tabatabaee, Seyed Ahmad (2003), “The European Court of Human Rights”, Journal of Law Thoughts, Vol. 1, No.5 (In Persian).
- C) Thesis
- Rietveld, M.F (2015), “NGO Participation in Regional Human Rights Systems, A Comparison of Europe and the Americas”, Faculty of Social & Behavioral Sciences, Leiden University, Thesis, Master Degree in Political Science, available at: https://openaccess.leidenuniv.nl/bitstream/handle/1887/33629 /Rietveld-Myrinne-s1580868-MA%20Thesis-2015.pdf?sequence=1
- D) Documents
- European Convention on Human Rights (1950). available at: https://www.echr.coe.int/Documents/Convention_ENG.pdf
- European Convention on the Recognition of the Legal Personality of INGOs (1986). Available at: https://www.coe.int/en/web/conventions/full-list/-/conventions/treaty/124
- Overview Of The Case-Law Of The European Court Of Human Rights (2016). available at: https://www.echr.coe.int/Documents/Short_Survey_2016_ENG.pdf
- Overview Of The Case-Law Of The European Court Of Human Rights (2015). available at: https://www.echr.coe.int/Documents/Short_Survey_2015_ENG.pdf
- Overview Of The Case-Law Of The European Court Of Human Rights (2014). available at: https://www.echr.coe.int/Documents/Short_Survey_2014_ENG.pdf
- Protocol 11 of Convention for the Protection of Human Rights and Fundamental Freedoms (1994). available at: https://www.echr.coe.int/Documents/ Library_Collection_P11_ETS155E_ENG.pdf
- Rules of Procedure of the European Court of Human Rights (2018). available at: https://www.echr.coe.int/Documents/Rules_Court_ENG.pdf
- E) Blogpost
- Mathews, Jessica (1997). Power Shift, Foreign Affairs available at: https://www.foreignaffairs.com/articles/1997-01-01/power-shift