Document Type : Article
1 PhD Candidate in Private Law, Faculty of Humanities, Bu-Ali Sina University, Hamedan, Iran
2 Associate Professor of Private Law, Department of Law, Faculty of Humanities, Bu-Ali Sina University, Hamedan, Iran
The outbreak of the COVID-19 pandemic became the biggest health crisis of our time. Biotechnology research companies have begun a new era in overcoming the disease by using genetic modification techniques. The findings of the present study, with a descriptive-analytical method, indicate that the COVID-19 vaccine based on genetic modification technology faces two main challenges. First, the relatively strict regulatory approach to genetically modified organisms that exists to protect the environment and human health; compliance with these regulatory requirements may make the evaluation process for the production of the vaccine a lengthy one. Second, companies active in this field seek legal protection for their intellectual property. Critics of intellectual property protection, however, believe that this type of protection of the COVID vaccine could potentially affect its accessibility and cost-effectiveness. In the legal system of the European Union and the United States, special legal measures have been adopted to address the above challenges. However, due to the emergency situation caused by the spread of the disease in the Iranian legal system, we still face Legal vacuum.
- A) Books
- Collins, Harper (2018), COBUILD Advanced English Dictionary, 9th edition.
- B) Articles
- Andewelt, Roger B. (1985), "Analysis of Patent Pools Under the Antitrust Laws", 53 Antitrust Law Journal, pp. 611 -639.
- Clin Pharmacol, Br J., (2020), "How to expedite early-phase SARS-CoV-2 vaccine trials in pandemic setting—A practical perspective", John Wiley & Sons Ltd on behalf of British Pharmacological Society.
- Churchill F.B. (1974), "William Johannsen and the genotype concept", Journal of the History of Biology7, pp. 5-30.
- Cockburn, Andrew (2002), "Assuring the Safety of Genetically Modified (GM) Foods: the Importance of Holistic", Integrative Approach, 98 J. BIOTECH. 79.
- Committee on Economic, Social & Cultural Rights (CESCR), 2000, “The Right to the Highest Attainable Standard of Health”, (article 12 of the ICESR), General Comment No. 14.
- Folegatti,Pedro M,Ewer, Katie J, Aley, Parvinder K , Angus, Brian, Becker, Stephan (2020), "Safety and immunogenicity of the ChAdOx1 nCoV-19 vaccine against SARS-CoV-2: a preliminary report of a phase 1/2, single-blind, randomised controlled trial". Lancet 396, pp. 467–478. doi: 10.1016/S0140-6736(20)31604-4.
- Fischer. J,(2020) “When Researchers Discover A COVID-19 Cure, Credit Should Go To Robust IP Laws, Says Former Czech PM,” International Business Times.
- Financial Times (2020), ‘UK and Germany hinder court launch’, https://www.ft.com/content/d6238772-74e7-11ea-90ce-5fb6c07a27f2
- Giesen, Caroline & Kemmner, Carolin (2020), "New European Regulation Facilitates Development of Coronavirus Vaccine", Clifford Chance, pp.1-19.
- Hickey, Kevin J., (2020), "Drug Pricing and Intellectual Property Law: A Legal Overview for the 116th Congress", pp. 12-13.
- ICC (2020), “How Intellectual Property Can Strengthen Our Response to Climate Change and COVID-19,” Press Release.
- Koons, C., (2020), “The Vaccine Scramble is Also a Scramble for Patents: Intellectual property disputes throughout the drug supply chain could hold back a Covid-19 shot,” Bloomberg Business Week.
- Lai, Chih-Cheng Shih, ,Tzu-Ping, Ko, Wen-Chien, Tang, Hung-Jen, Hsueh,Po-Ren (2020),"Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus 2 (SARS-Cov-2) And Corona Virus Disease-2019 (COVID-19): The Epidemic And The Challenges", Int J Antimicrob Agents (In press), 105924.
- Ramona L. Taylor (2001), "Tearing Down the Great Wall. China's Road to WTO Accession", 41 J.L. & TECH. 151.
- Silverman, E, (2020), “Pharma Leaders Shoot Down WHO Voluntary Pool for Patent Rights on Covid-19 Products,” statnews.com.
- Soderstrom, J.,(2020), “Intellectual property makes sure drug makers deliver,” Hartford Courant.
- Stanford University (2020), “COVID-19 Technology Access Framework,” otl.stanford.edu.
- Van Overwalle, Geertrui; Esther, van Zimmeren; Verbeure, Birgit; Matthijs, Gert (2005), “Models for facilitating access to patents on genetic inventions,” Nature Review Genetics, pp. 8-143. doi:10.1038/nrg1765, www.nature.com/reviews/genetics.
- WHO, International Health Regulations(2005), 3th Edition, at: https://www.who.int/publications/i/item/9789241580410, last visited: 2021/5/18
- C) Sites
- Brunson, Emily K., Vaccine, Britannica, 2020, ,https://www.britannica.com/science/vaccine, last visited: 2020/11/20.
- Diaz, Julia M and Et al, (2020), "GMOs In Medicine And Research", Britanica, 2020, at: https://www.britannica.com/science/genetically-modified-organism/GMOs-in-medicine-and-research. last visited: 2020/11/18.
- European Parliament,( 2020), "Ethics and safety of GMO and non-GMO vaccines against COVID-19", at: https://www.europarl.europa.eu/doceo/document/P-9-2020-003908_EN.html, last visited: 2020/12/20.
- Fortuna, Gerardo, EU goes easy on GMOs in race for COVID-19 vaccine, EURACTIV’s reporting., 2020, at: https://www.euractiv.com/section/health-consumers/news/eu-goes-easy-on-gmos-in-race-for-covid-19-vaccine. last visited: 2020/12/22.
- Lay, Jerrylay,( 2020) "Intellectual Property Challenges for Life Sciences Firms – Through COVID-19 and Beyond", A&M Bulliten, https://www.alvarezandmarsal.com/insights/intellectual-property-challenges-life-sciences-firms-through-covid-19-and-beyond. last visited: 2020/12/15.
- Lopez, C. Iglesias, Temporary derogation of European environmental legislation for clinical trials of genetically modified organisms (GMOs) for COVID-19, Cytotherapy. 2020 Sep 26.at: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1465324920308598?via%3Dihub, last visited: 2020/11/25.
- Mathew, Joe C, (2020)"India, South Africa ask WTO to waive off patents, intellectual property protection for faster COVID-19 care access", Business Today, https://www.businesstoday.in/current/economy-politics/india-south-africa-ask-wto-to-waive-off-patents-intellectual-property-protection-for-faster-covid-19-care-access/story/417668.html.
- Médecins Sans Frontières/Doctors Without Borders, MSF Calls for No Patents or Profiteering on COVID-19 Drugs, Tests, and Vaccines in Pandemic, MSF ACCESS CAMPAIGN (Mar. 27, 2020), https://msfaccess.org/msf-callsno-patents-or-profiteering-covid-19-drugs-tests-and-vaccines-pandemic.
- D) Cases
- Diamond v. Chakrabarty, 447 U.S. 303, 309–10 (1980).
Refrences In Persian:
- A) Articles
- Adel, Morteza; Jafari, Mahmood (2015), "Patent pool agreement", Judicial Law Views Quarterly (Law Views), No. 71, pp. 95-124 (In Persian).
- Bakhtiarvand, Mostafa (2017), "Legal-Judicial Study of Compulsory Licenses for Exploitation of Invention Right", Fiqh and Usul, No, 3, pp. 74-94. 10.22067/JFU.V0I0.51977. In persian (In Persian).
- Barati, Morteza (2016), "Study of the laws of selected countries in the field of transgenic products", Islamic Parliament Research Center (IPRC), Information & Communication Technology (ICT) (In Persian).
- Jafari Chaleshtari, Mahmood (2016), " The Concept and the Distinguishing Features of Contract on Patent Pools", Majlis and Rahbord, No 87, pp. 262-233 (In Persian).
- Mirshamsi, Mohammad Hadi & Farzi, Maryam, (2018)," Analysis and critique of Bayh-Dole Act on Intellectual Property Rights in Publicly Funded Research) ", Journal Of Private Law, No. 24, pp. 143-172 (In Persian).
- 10.22054/JPLR.2018.26400.1680 (In Persian).
- Norouzi Shams, Mishitullah (2007), "Relationship between intellectual property rights and competition law (with emphasis on EU and Iran law)", PHD Thesis, Tehran: Shahid Beheshti University (In Persian).
- Shahbazi, Aramesh & Berelian, Pouya (2018), " The Role of Biotechnology in Development of International Environmental Law, Public Studies Quartery, No. 23-43. 10.22059/JPLSQ.2018.217252.1361 (In Persian).
- Sadeghi, Mohsen, Shamshiri, sadegh , (2012),Critique law principle policies of village 44 Iranian Constitution ( private legislation ) Background of intellectual property rights and competition contact, Public Law, No. 33, pp. 138-168 (In Persian).
- Taheri, Sara (2020), " A Review on Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19) and What is Known about it", Depiction of Health , pp. 83-97, doi: 10.34172/doh.2020.09 (In Persian).
- Tavokoli, Ahmad, Vahdat, Katayon, Keshavarz, Mohsen (2020), Novel Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19): An Emerging Infectious Disease in the 21st Century. Iran South Med J. 2020; Vol.22, No.6, pp.432-450 (In Persian).
- B) Cases
- Rezaei, Ruhollah (2014), "A comparative study of civil liability resulting from the production and supply of transgenic food products", Master Thesis, Qom Universiry (In Persian).
- Rahmani Menshadi, Hamid (2013), "Civil liability arising from genetic research", phd thesis, Tehran: Shahid Beheshti University (In Persian).