Document Type : Article
Assistant Prof., Department of Public Law, Faculty of Law and Political Science, University of Tehran, Tehran, Iran
MA. In. Private Law, Faculty of Law Science, University of mofid, Qom, Iran
Individuals have an exclusive right to their image about which they can make decisions. The Iranian legal system mainly uses criminal sanctions to ensure respect for the right to image. However, civil liability seems to be a more effective remedy for the injured party and the restoration of his/her situation to before the violation. The European Court of Human Rights also uses civil liability law to compensate damages caused by the violation of the right to image. In the present article, using the library research method, an attempt is made to study the elements of civil liability for the violation of the right to image and the appropriate compensation for such a violation in the Iranian legal system. Overall, it can be argued that considering the effect of the violation to the injured party and depending on whether and which financial or non-financial rights are harmed, both financial and non-financial methods can be used for compensation. As in the practice of the European Court of Human Rights, these two methods can be used in the Iranian legal system, depending on the circumstances of the case.
Refrences In Persian:
- A) Books
- Ashouri, Mohammad (2006), Criminal Procedure Code, Vol. 1, Tehran: Samt (In Persian).
- Ansari, Baqer (2018), Media Law, Tehran: Samat (In Persian).
- Parvin, Farhad (2003), Moral Damages in Iranian Law, Tehran: gognoos (In Persian).
- Questions and answers from the commission (1990), Vol.1 (In Persian).
- Jabbar Golbaghi Masouleh, Seyed Ali (1378), Introduction to custom, Qom: Islamic Propaganda Office of the seminary (In Persian).
- Jafari Langroudi, Mohammad Jafar (2006), Legal Terminology, Tehran: Ganj-e-Danesh, Vol 2 (In Persian).
- Safaei, Hossein and Rahimi, Habibollah (2015), Non-contractual requirements, Tehran: Samt (In Persian).
- Safaei, Seyed Hossein (1976), New Concepts and Criteria in Civil Law, Bija: Research Center (In Persian).
- Safaei, Hossein (2013), Civil rights: persons, Tehran: position (In Persian).
- Katozian, Nasser (2011), Legal Events - Civil Liability, Tehran: Anteshar Co (In Persian).
- _______ (1387), Non-contractual requirements, Tehran: University of Tehran (In Persian).
- Madani, Seyed Jalaluddin (2008), Constitutional law, Vol 4, paydar (In Persian).
- Ansari, Baqer (2012), "A Comparative Study of Civil Liability for Violation of Personality Rights in the Media", Journal of Private Law Research, No. 2, pp. 67-100 (In Persian).
- Badini, Hassan (2012), "Civil Liability for Violation of Intellectual Property Rights and Human Rights", Journal of the Faculty of Law and Political Science, No. 1, pp. 89-107 (In Persian).
- Hosseini Kashani, Seyyed Ruhollah and Enayat Shafiei and Seyyed Mahmoud Alavi (2019), "Anthropological principles of the right to privacy from the perspective of Islam", Legal Studies, No. 3, pp. 41- 69 (In Persian).
- Pourghlam, Hamed (2007), "Image Right", govah Legal Quarterly, No. 10, pp. 117-124 (In Persian).
- Javid, Mohammad Javad and Mostafa Shafizadeh Kholanjani (2015), "Nature or Human Nature Areas for the Barrier of Relativity in Human Rights", Quarterly Journal of Public Law Research, No. 52, pp. 59- 85 (In Persian).
- Ghorbannia, Nasser (2013), "Natural Rights and Human Rights", International Quarterly Journal of Human Rights, No. 2, pp. 41 - 58 (In Persian).
19.________________(2004), "Various Readings of Natural Law", Islamic Law, No. 1, pp. 58 37 (In Persian).
- Maghami, Amir and Nadia Attaran (2019), "The Balance of Disclosure of Family Privacy of Celebrities in the Media and Freedom of Expression in a Non-Legal Procedure", Quarterly Journal of Public Law Studies, No. 2, pp. 311-333 (In Persian).
- Maghami, Amir and Nasser Maghami (2010), "Compensation for damage caused by the activities of the mass media with emphasis on non-material means", Isfahan Bar Association Newsletter, No. 50, pp. 30- 42 (In Persian).
- Mousavi Bojnourdi, Seyed Mohammad and Nastaranpour (2018), "Jurisprudential study of legal privacy", Theology, No. 42, pp. 1-18 (In Persian).
- Mirshakari, Abbas (2018), "Image Rights", Private Law, No. 1, pp. 149-174 (In Persian).
- ________ (2018), "Image Law Exceptions", Comparative Law Studies, No. 1, pp. 451-472 (In Persian).
- ________ (2020), "Conflicting the rights of celebrities with the expression of freedom in the legal systems of the United States, France, Germany and Iran", Journal of Justice, No. 110, pp. 219-247 (In Persian).
- ________ (2019), "Right of publicity", Quarterly Journal of Private Law Studies, No. 3, pp. 523-542 (In Persian).
- c) votes
- Consultative theory of the Legal Department No. 5947/7 dated 3/10/1368; Quoted from: Gholamreza Shahri, Theories of Legal Administration from 57 to 71, Vol. 1, p.23 (In Persian).
- Lawsuit No. 367 dated 2/10/1368, Branch 35 of the Legal Court of Tehran, listed in the case of class 66/565 (In Persian).