Document Type : Article
1 Assistant Prof. in International Law, School of International Relations Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Tehran, Iran
2 MA. in Diplomacy and International Organizations, School of International Relations Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Tehran, Iran
Lawfare is a strategy of misusing law as a tool to achieve national and security interests which pursues the goals of an armed conflict without resorting to force. The lawfare actor misuses the existing gaps in international law to inflict the most damage to the targeted party, while there is no specific legal system to confront these actions. In lawfare, the rule of law is distorted. The complexities of lawfare have given the initiative to strong states that have appropriate legal infrastructures. In this way, the United States has been able to misuse this tool to put pressure on Iran and reach its hostile goals. The study of the US approach and practice towards the lawfare against Iran is the subject of this article. Recognizing the US practice in this regard shows that Iran has been the target of the most difficult lawfare that has been pursued through international institutions and also using domestic various strategies and initiatives.
- A) Books
- ElBaradei, Mohammad (2011), The Age of Deception: Nuclear Diplomacy in Treacherous Times, New York, Metropolitan Books, Henry Holt & Company.
- Hufbauer, Gary Clyde & Schott, Jeffrey J. & Elliott, Kimberly Ann & Oegg, Barbara (2007), Economic Sanctions Reconsidered, Washington DC: Peterson Institute for International Economics.
- Kittrie, Orde F. (2016), Lawfare: Law as a Weapon of War, New York, Oxford University Press.
- Nephew, Richard (2018), The Art of Sanctions: A View from the Field, New York, Columbia University Press.
- Sands, Philippe, (2005), Lawless World: America and the Making and Breaking of Global Rules, New York, Viking Adult.
- Simma, Bruno; Khan, Daniel-Erasmus; Nolte, Georg; Paulus, Andreas &Wessendorf, Nikolai (2012), The Charter of the United Nations: A Commentary, Vol. I, (3rd Edition), Oxford, Oxford University Press.
- Tamanaha, Brian Z. (2006), Law as a Means to an End: Threat to the Rule of Law, New York: Cambridge University Press.
- Zarate, Juan C. (2013), Treasury's War: The Unleashing of a New Era of Financial Warfare, New York, Public Affairs.
- B) Articles
- Bechky, Perry S. (2010), "The Politics of Divestment", The Politics of International Economic Law, Seattle University School of Law Research Paper No. 10-27, pp. 1-28.
- Dunlap, Jr., Charles J. (2001), "Law and Military Interventions: Preserving Humanitarian Values in 21th Century Conflicts", Humanitarian Challenges in Military Intervention Conference, Harvard University, pp. 1-27.
- Dunlap, Jr., Charles J. (2008), "Lawfare Today: A Perspective", Yale Journal of International Affairs, pp. 146-154.
- Dunlap, Jr., Charles J. (2010),"Does Lawfare Need an Apologia?", Case Western Reserve Journal of International Law. Vol. 43, Issue. 1, pp. 121-143.
- Goldenziel, Jill I. (2020), "Law as a Battlefield: The U.S., China, and Global Escalation of Lawfare", Cornell Law Review, Vol. 106, pp. 101-189.
- Jacobson, Michael (2008), "Sanctions against Iran: A Promising Struggle", The Washington Quarterly, pp.69-88.
- Kittrie, Orde F. (2007A), "Averting Catastrpphe: Why the Nuclear Nonproliferation Treaty is Losing its Deterrence Capacity and How to Restore it", Michigan Journal of International Law, Vol. 28, Issue. 2, pp. 337-430.
- Kittrie, Orde F. (2007B), "Emboldened by Impunity: The History and Consequences of Failureto Enforce Iranian Violations of International Law", Syracuse Law Review, Vol. 57, p. 519-549
- Kittrie, Orde F. (2010), "Lawfare and U.S. National Security", Case Western Reserve Journal of International Law, Vol. 43. Issue. 1, pp. 393-421.
- Leverett, Flynt & Leverett, Hillary (2014), "American Hegemony (and Hubris), the Iranian Nuclear Issue, and the Future of Sino-Iranian Relations", The Emerging Middle East-East Asia Nexus, Penn State Law Research Paper No. 39, pp. 1-26.
- Novosad, Paul and Werker, Eric (2019), "Who Runs the International System? Nationality and Leadership in the UN Secretariant", The Review of International Organizations, 14, pp. 1-33.
- Scharf, Michael P. & Andersen, Elizabeth (2010), "Is Lawfare Worth Defining - Report of the Cleveland Experts Meeting – September 11, 2010", Case Western Reserve Journal of International Law. vol. 43, Issue 1. pp. 11-27.
- Scharf, Michael P. & Pagano, Shannon (2010), "Foreward: Lawfare!", Case Western Reserve Journal of International Law, Vol. 43, Issue. 1, pp. 1-10.
- Stroup, Sarah S. (2019), "NGOs’ interactions with states", In: Davies, Thomas, Routledge Handbook of NGOs and International Relations, Routledge, pp. 32-45.
- Tamanaha, Brian Z. (2007), "How an Instrumental View of Law Corrodes the Rule of Law", DePaul Law Review. Vol. 56. Issue. 2. pp. 1-52.
- Tortajada, Cecilia (2016), "Nongovernmental Organizations and Influence on Global Public Policy", Asia & the Pacific Policy Studies, Vol. 3, No. 2, pp. 266–274.
- Wiarda, Howard J. (2015), "Think Tanks and Foreign Policy in a Globalized World: New Ideas, New "Tanks," New Directions", International Journal, Vol. 70, No. 4, pp. 517-525.
- WTO, Economic Research & Statistics Division (2012), "Use of Currencies in International Trade: Any Changes in the Picture?", Staff Working Paper ERSD, pp. 1-21.
- C) Online Articles
- Bidwell, Christopher A., "US courts say Iran owes terrorism victims billions. That’s an obstacle to a new Iran nuclear deal.", Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists, 3 August 2021, https://thebulletin.org/2021/08/us-courts-say-iran-owes-terrorism-victims-billions-thats-an-obstacle-to-a-new-iran-nuclear-deal
- Center for Security Policy, "DivestTerror.org launched with stunning report on public pension fund investments in terrorist-sponsoring nations", 12 August 2004, https://www.centerforsecuritypolicy.org/2004/08/12/divestterror-org-launched-with-stunning-report-on-public-pension-fund-investments-in-terrorist-sponsoring-nations-2/
- Drye, Kelley and LLP, Warren ‘Recent OFAC Settlement Highlights Due Diligence Expectations When Selling to Intermediaries’, 22 March 2021, https://www.jdsupra.com/legalnews/recent-ofac-settlement-highlights-due-9744612/
- Grossman, Elaine M., "Proliferation Watchdogs Eye Litigation to Combat Illicit Trafficking", Nuclear Threat Initiative. 30 October 2009. https://www.nti.org/gsn/article/proliferation-watchdogs-eye-litigation-to-combat-illicit-trafficking/
- Hirsh, Michael, "Obama Prepares to Get Tough on Iran", Newsweek, 12 December 2009, https://www.newsweek.com/obama-prepares-get-tough-iran-75581
- Ignatius, David, "Buying Time with Iran", Real Clear Politics, 9 January 2011, http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2011/01/09/buying_time_with_iran_108479.html
- Keitner, Chimene, "World Court Ruels on Iran Challenge to US Suits for Acts of Terrorism: An Explainer", Just Security, 19 February 2019, https://www.justsecurity.org/62604/unpacking-icj-judgment-certain-iranian-assets
- Kittrie, Orde F., "How to Put the Squeeze on Iran", The Wall Street Journal, 13 November 2008, https://www.wsj.com/articles/SB122654026060023113
- Kirchner, Stephen, "The ‘Reserve Currency’ Myth: The Us Dollar’s Current and Future Role in the World Economy", United States Studies Center. 11 November 2019. https://www.ussc.edu.au/analysis/the-reserve-currency-myth-the-us-dollars-current-and-future-role-in-the-world-economy
- Phillips, James, "The 1983 Marine Barracks Bombing: Connecting the Dots", The Heritage Foundation, 23 October 2009. https://www.heritage.org/defense/commentary/the-1983-marine-barracks-bombing-connecting-the-dots
- Radia, Kirit and Sauer, Maddy, "Pan Am 103 Families Finally Compensated", abc News. 1 November 2008. https://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/story?id=6158491&page=1
- Sanger, David E., "U.S. Weighs Iran Sanctions if Talks Are Rejected", The New York Times, 2 August 2009, https://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/03/world/middleeast/03nuke.html
- Shamseddine, Reem and Pachymuthu, Luke, "Iran fuel imports dive in Sept on sanctions-trade", Reuters, 24 September 2010, https://af.reuters.com/article/energyOilNews/idAFLDE68N0ZF20100924
- Thornton, Sean M., "Iran, Non-U.S. Banks and Secondary Sanctions: Understanding the Trends", Skadden, 24 October 2012, https://www.skadden.com/insights/publications/2012/10/iran-nonus-banks-and-secondary-sanctions-understan
- Weisman, Steven R., "The Ripples of Punishing One Bank", The New York Times, 3 July 2007, https://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/03/business/worldbusiness/03bank.html
- Wright, Robin, "Stuart Levey’s War", The New York Times Magazine, 31 October 2008, https://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/02/magazine/02IRAN-t.html
- D) Documents
- California Public Employee' Retirement System, Assembly Bill: 221, Chapter 671, 14 October 2007. http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/pub/07-08/bill/asm/ab_0201-0250/ab_221_bill_20071014_chaptered.html
- California Public Contract, Assembly Bill No: 1650, Chapter 573, 30 September 2010.http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billTextClient.xhtml?bill_id=200920100AB1650
- California Insurance, Assembly Bill No: 2160, Chapter 479, 23 September 2012. http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billTextClient.xhtml?bill_id=201120120AB2160
- Comprehensive Iran Sanctions, Accountability and Divestment Act of 2010 (CISADA), Pub. L. No. 111-195, 124 Stat. 1313.
- Energy and Water Development and Related Agencies Appropriations Act 2010, Pub. L. No: 111.
- FATF Guidance: The Implementation of Financial Provisions of United Nations Security Council Resolutions to Counter the Proliferation of Weapons of Mass Destruction. June 2013.
- FATF Public Statement, 27 February 2015.
- FATF Statement on Iran, 11 October 2007.
- FATF Statement, 16 October 2008.
- FATF, High-Risk Jurisdictions Subject to a Call for Action, 21 February 2019.
- Hook, Brian, Balancing Interests and Values, Note for the Secretary, Washington, D.C. 20520, 17 May 2017, https://www.politico.com/f/?id=00000160-6c37-da3c-a371-ec3f13380001
- Implementing Tougher Sanction on Iran: A Progress Report. Hearing, 1 December 2010, Serial No. 111–136. p. 14. https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/CHRG-111hhrg62665/pdf/CHRG-111hhrg62665.pdf
- Law on the Jurisdiction of the Judiciary of the Islamic Republic of Iran for the Proceedings of Civil Cases against Foreign Governments, Islamic Parliament of Iran, 8 May 2012. (in Persian)
- Peterson v. Islamic Republic of Iran, 264 F. Supp. 2d 46 (D.D.C. 2003).
- Sudan Accountability and Divestment Act of 2007, Public Law 110-174.
- US Government Accountability Office, "U.S. and International Sanctions Have Adversely Affected the Iranian Economy", Report to the Chairman, Committee on Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs, U.S. Senate. (February 2013).
- UNSCR 1737, 27 December 2006, S/RES/1737.
- UNSCR 1803, 3 March 2008, S/RES/1803.
- UNSCR1929, 9 June 2010, S/RES/1929.
- USA, Plaintiff v. Funds in the amount of 73,293,750 AED (approximately $20 million) in the Possession and Control of Ras al Khaimah Investment Authority (RAKIA) and All Claims Filed and Asserted by VI2 Partners Gmbh against) Ras al Khaimah Investment Authority Georgia LLC in case no. 2b/4319-17 pending before the Tbilisi Court of Appeals, Republic of Georgia and Proceeds thereof, US District Court for the District of Alaska, Civil No. 3:20-cv-00126-JMK, 3 June 2020.
- E) Websites
- Election Center 2008, "Transcript: Second McCain, Obama Debate", CNN Politics, 7 October 2008, https://edition.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/10/07/presidential.debate.transcript/
- The US Department of Justice, ING Bank N.V. Agrees to Forfeit $619 Million for Illegal Transactions with Cuban and Iranian Entities. 12 June 2012. https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/ing-bank-nv-agrees-forfeit-619-million-illegal-transactions-cuban-and-iranian-entities-0
- US Department of Justice, HSBC Holdings Plc. and HSBC Bank USA N.A. Admit to Anti-Money Laundering and Sanctions Violations, Forfeit $1.256 Billion in Deferred Prosecution Agreement. 11 December 2012. https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/hsbc-holdings-plc-and-hsbc-bank-usa-na-admit-anti-money-laundering-and-sanctions-violations
- U.S. Department of Justice, Justice Department Seeks Forfeiture of More than $20 Million in Assets Relating to Unlawful Use of U.S. Financial System to Evade and Violate Iranian Sanctions, 3 June 2020, https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/justice-department-seeks-forfeiture-more-20-million-assets-relating-unlawful-use-us-financial
- U.S. Department of Justice, “Standard Chartered Bank Admits to Illegally Processing Transactions in Violation of Iranian Sanctions and Agrees to Pay More Than $1 Billion”, 9 April 2019, https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/standard-chartered-bank-admits-illegally-processing-transactions-violation-iranian-sanctions
- U.S. Department of State, Companies Reducing Energy-related Business with Iran, 30 September 2010. https://2009-2017.state.gov/r/pa/prs/ps/2010/09/148458.htm
- U.S. Department of State, State Sponsors of Terrorism, Bureau of Counterterrorism. https://www.state.gov/state-sponsors-of-terrorism/
- U.S. Department of the Treasury, Remarks by Treasury Secretary Paulson on Targeted Financial Measures to Protect Our National Security, 14 June 2007, https://www.treasury.gov/press-center/press-releases/Pages/hp457.aspx
- U.S. Department of the Treasury, “Treasury Revokes Iran’s U-Turn License”, 6 November 2008, https://www.treasury.gov/press-center/press-releases/Pages/hp1257.aspx
- U.S. Department of the Treasury, “Treasury Sanctions Iran’s Central Bank and National Development Fund”, 20 September 2019, https://home.treasury.gov/news/press-releases/sm780
- U.S. Department of the Treasury, Under Secretary Levey Remarks at the Center for Strategic and International Studies. 20 September 2010. https://www.treasury.gov/press-center/press-releases/Pages/tg862.aspx
- U.S. Department of the Treasury, U.S. Treasury Department Announces Joint $536 Million Settlement with Credit Suisse AG. 16 December 2009. https://www.treasury.gov/press-center/press-releases/Pages/tg452.aspx
- "U.S. froze $2 billion held for Iran in Citibank: report", Reuters, 12 December 2009, https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-iran-citigroup/u-s-froze-2-billion-held-for-iran-in-citibank-report-idUSTRE5BB0ID20091212
- "U.S. judge orders Iran pay $2.6 billion for 1983 attack", Reuters, 8 September 2008, https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-iran-judgment/u-s-judge-orders-iran-pay-2-6-billion-for-1983-attack-idUSN0824551020070908
References in Persian:
- A) Books
- Joyner, Daniel H (2017), Iran’s Nuclear Program and International Law from Confrontation to Accord, Translation by: Seyed Hossein Sadat Meidani, Yaser Salarian, Mahdi Khalili Torghabe, Tehran: IPIS (In Persian).
- Sadat Meidani, Seyed Hossein & Khalili Torghabe, Mahdi (2018), Legal Principles of the United States Sanctions: Iran Sanctions, Tehran: S.D.I.L (In Persian).
- B) Articles
- Barzegar, Abdoreza & Rahmani, Tahmineh (2016), "Hearing to Claims arising from Public Procurement Contracts during the Sanction Period under Jurisdiction Law on the Jurisdiction of the Judiciary of IRI", Judicial Law Views Quarterly, Vol. 20, Issue. 72, pp. 25-64 (In Persian).
- Fazaeli, Mostafa & Kosary, Vahid (2021), "The Doctrine of “Lawfare” and the Future of International Law: Law as a Means of Peace or War?", Legal Research Quarterly, Vol. 24, Issue. 93, pp. 193-214, doi: 10.22034/JLR.2020.176120.1344 (In Persian).
- Karamzadeh, Siamak & Abedini, Abdollah (2019), "Margin of Appreciation in the Enforcement of the SC Sanction Resolutions: Case Study of Iran", Public Law Studies Quarterly, Vol. 49, Issue. 3, pp. 837-857, doi: 10.22059/JPLSQ.2019.270043.1864 (In Persian).
- Sadat Meidani, Seyed Hossein (2003), "The Legitimacy of the Use of Force against Iraq from the perspective of SC Resolutions", Journal of Defense Policy, Vol. 11, Issue. 43, pp. 1-20 (In Persian).
- Sadat Meidani, Seyed Hossein (2004), "Assessing the Function of US Domestic Courts in Attributing the Actions of Lebanese and Palestinian Groups to the IRI Iran", Legal Research, Issue. 4, pp. 13-17 (In Persian).
- Sadat Meidani, Seyed Hossein (2006). "SC and Iran’s Nuclear Case: Confrontation of the Rule of International Law with International Peace", Foreign Policy Quarterly, Vol. 20, Issue. 1, pp. 1-35 (In Persian).
- Sadat Meidani, Seyed Hossein (2016), "The IAEA Disputes over Iran's Nuclear Program in Light of International Law", ILR, Vol. 33, Issue. 54, pp. 219-256, doi: 10.22066/CILAMAG.2016.20726 (In Persian).
- Zamani, Seyed Ghasem & Sadat Meidani, Seyed Hossein (2006), "UN Security Council Practice in Iran's Nuclear Case: From Report to Sanction", Journal of Legal Research, Vol. 5, Issue. 10, pp. 15-54 (In Persian).