Document Type : Article
Faculty Member of the Institution for Research and Development in the Humanities (SAMT), Tehran, Iran
Ph. D of International Law and Researcher of International Law, Tehran, Iran
On 27 March 2021, the Chinese Foreign Minister arrived in Tehran as an official visit, and in the midst of discussions about the US return to the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action and the sabotage at the Natanz nuclear site, an agreement was reached entitled "Comprehensive Program of Cooperation between Iran and China". The very broad dimensions of this agreement in various economic, security, military, tourism, cultural, academic fields and with a special focus on the issue of energy, especially the purchase of oil and petrochemical products by China from Iran over a 25-year period, leave many ambiguities. It even raised questions for experts in the field, including why it was signed at this time and why for 25 years. In this paper, with the aim of resolving the existing ambiguities, we analyze this agreement from the perspective of international law.
- A) Book
- Casey-Maslen Stuart and Tobias Vestner (2019), A Guide to International Disarmament Law, Routledge, 1st edition.
- Crawford, James. (2020), China and the Development of an International Dispute Resolution Mechanism for the Belt and Road Construction, in Shan, Zhang and Su (eds.) China and International Dispute Resolution in the Context of the Belt and Road Initiative, Cambridge University Press.
- Juan, Xu & Wang Yuzhu (2019), Basic contents, in Fang and Nolan (eds.) Routledge Handbook of the Belt and Road, 1st Edition.
- Wolf, Siegfried O. (2020), The China-Pakistan Economic Corridor of the Belt and Road Initiative: Concept, Context and Assessment, Springer, 1st Edition.
- Shang, Huping (2019), The Belt and Road Initiative: Key Concepts, Springer, 1st Edition.
- Xiangrong, Dong (2019), A brief history of the Silk Road, in Cai Fang: Peter Nolan (eds.) Routledge Handbook of the Belt and Road.
- Ye, Min (2020), The Belt Road and Beyond, Cambridge University Press.
- B) Article
- Cai, Peter (2017), “Understanding China’s Belt and Road Initiative”, Lowy Institute. at: https://www.lowyinstitute.org/publications/understanding-china-s-belt-and-road-initiative
- Chaziza, Mordechai (2020), “The impact of U.S. sanctions on Iran’s engagement and integration in the Belt and Road Initiative”, Digest of Middle East Studies, Vol. 29, issue 2, pp. 167-182.
- Christie, G. (1962), “What Constitutes a Taking of Property under International Law?”, British Yearbook of International Law, Vol. 38, pp. 307-338.
- Ly, Bora (2020), China and Global Governance: Leadership through BRI, Cogent Social Sciences, at:
- Murdoch-Gibson, Sebastian (2020), “China’s Polar Silk Road: A series on the Arctic dimension of China’s Belt and Road Initiative”, Asia Pacific Foundation of Canada. at: https://www.asiapacific.ca/sites/default/files/chinapolarsilkroad_web.pdf
- Ruzza, Alice (2017), “Expropriation and Nationalization”, Max Planck Encyclopedia of Public International Law, Online Version.
- Zeng, Wenge (2020), “An Analysis of the Legal Issues of China’s Overseas Investment in the Context of the ‘Belt and Road’ Initiative”, in Martinico and WU (eds.), A Legal Analysis of the Belt and Road Initiative: Towards a New Silk Road?, Palgrave Macmillan, pp. 199–219.
- Zhang, Kangle (2018), “A Tale of Ending Poverty: The New Financial Institutions and China’s Global Strategy”, in Shan, Nuotio, Zhang (eds.), Normative Readings of the Belt and Road Initiative: Road to New Paradigms, Springer, Zhang, Kangle, A Tale of Ending Poverty: The New Financial Institutions and China's Global Strategy (2017), Wenhua Shan, Kimmo Nuotio and Kangle Zhang (eds), 'Normative Readings of the Belt and Road Initiative: Road to New Paradigms' (Springer, 2018), Helsinki Legal Studies Research Paper No. 50.
- C) Instrument
- Full text of Joint Statement on Comprehensive Strategic Partnership between I.R. Iran, P.R. China (2016), at: https://www.president.ir/EN/91435
- Letter dated 16 March 2020 from the Permanent Representative of the Russian Federation to the United Nations addressed to the Secretary-General, at: https://undocs.org/pdf?symbol=en/A/74/752
- Katzman, Kenneth, (2021). Iran Sanctions, The US Congressional Research Service, at https://fas.org/sgp/crs/mideast/RS20871.pdf
- Maritime Delimitation and Territorial Questions between Qatar and Bahrain (Qatar v. Bahrain), ICJ Reports, 1994.
- MEMORANDUM OF UNDERSTANDING BETWEEN GOVERNMENT OF THE ITALIAN REPUBLIC AND THE GOVERNMENT OF THE PEOPLE’S REPUBLIC OF CHINA ON COOPERATION WITHIN THE FRAMEWORK OF THE SILK ROAD ECONOMIC BELT AND THE 21ST CENTURY MARITIME SILK ROAD INITIATIVE, signed March 2019, at: https://www.governo.it/sites/governo.it/files/Memorandum_Italia-Cina_EN.pdf
- Memorandum of Understanding between the Government of Victoria and the National Development and Reform Commission of the People's Republic of China on Cooperation within the Framework of the Silk Road Economic Belt and the 21st Century Maritime Silk Road Initiative, signed 8 October 2018, at: https://www.vic.gov.au/sites/default/files/2019-10/20191023-Framework-Agreement-Signed-English.pdf
- Memorandum of Understanding between the Council Ministers of Bosnia and Herzegovina and the National Development and Reform Commission of the People's Republic of China on Cooperation within the Framework of the Silk Road Economic Belt and the 21st Century Maritime Silk Road Initiative, signed 1 May 2017, at: http://www.mvteo.gov.ba/attachments/en_bh---pr-china-mou-silk-road-economic-beltpdf.pdf
- MEMORANDUM OF UNDERSTANDING BETWEEN THE GOVERNMENT OF THE REPUBLIC OF LATVIA AND THE GOVERNMENT OF THE PEOPLE’S REPUBLIC OF CHINA ON COOPERATION WITHIN THE FRAMEWORK OF THE SILK ROAD ECONOMIC BELT AND THE 21ST CENTURY MARITIME SILK ROAD INITIATIVE, at: http://tap.mk.gov.lv/doc/2016_11/AM_MoU_EN_20161024.2386.docx
- Vienna Convention on the Law of Treaties, 1969.
- D) Website
- https://www.fmprc.gov.cn/mfa_eng/wjb_663304/zwjg_665342/zwbd_665378 /t1582730.shtml
- https://www.reuters.com/business/energy/countries-where-iranian-oil -gas-revenues-are-blocked-2021-01-05/
- https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal/victoria-s-belt-and-road-deal- with-china-torn-up-20210421-p57l9q.html
References In Persian:
- A) Book
- A group of authors (2015). Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action: Policy, Requirements and Achievements, Strategic Studies Research Center (In Persian).
- Dolzer, Rudolf and Christoph Schreuer (2012). Principles of International Investment Law, translated by Seyed Qasem Zamani and Behzin Ahasibi, Shahre Danesh (In Persian).
- Falsafi, Hedayatullah (2004). The International Law of Treaties, Second ed., Nashre No (In Persian).
- Ziaee Bigdeli, Mohammad Reza (2006). The Law of International Treaties, Third ed., Ganje Danesh (In Persian).
- B) Article:
- Scientific conference organized by the Hoqoq Shenasi Association on the topic of "Comprehensive Cooperation between Iran and China" with the presence of Dr. Mohammad Reza Ziaei Bigdeli, Dr. Mohammad Sharif and Dr. Yousef Molaei Visit: https://www.instagram.com/tv/CNXxf11qGgD/?igshid = ix36u10zydjd (In Persian).
- Sharifzadeh, Zahra (2020), "An Analysis of the 25-Year Iran-China”, MOU, at: http://peace-ipsc.org (In Persian).
- Vafaie, Hamed (2021). "Explaining the view of the people, scientific and political elites of China on the 25-year plan", Institute of Strategic Studies, at: https://csr.ir/ (In Persian).
- C) Thesis:
- Rozgari, Khalil (2018). Challenges of Implementing Investment Treaties in the Iranian Legal System, PhD Thesis in Public International Law, Islamic Azad University, Science and Research Branch.
- Law on Dissemination and Free Access to Information, approved in 2009, at: : https://rc.majlis.ir/fa/law/show/780303 (In Persian).10. Law on Encouragement and Protection of Foreign Investment, approved in 2001, at: https://rc.majlis.ir/fa/law/show/133816 (In Persian).
- Law on the Treaty on Mutual Encouragement and Support for Investment between Islamic Republic of Iran and the People's Republic of China, adopted in 2004, at: :https://rc.majlis.ir/fa/law/show/97880 (In Persian).
- Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Factsheet on the Comprehensive Plan of Cooperation between Iran and China, at: https://www.mfa.gov.ir (In Persian).
- Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action Documents, at: https://www.mfa.gov.ir (In Persian).
- Regulations on how to prepare and conclude international agreements, approved in 1992, at: https://rc.majlis.ir/fa/law/show/114276 (In Persian).
- Survey of Abrar Moaser International Studies and Research Institute, Tehran, The Attitude of Iran's Academic Elites Towards a Comprehensive Document on Iran-China Cooperation, at: https://tisri.org/?id=a7aler8c (In Persian).