Document Type : Article
1 Ph.D. Student in Private Law, Department of Law, Faculty of Administrative Sciences and Economics, University of Isfahan, Isfahan, Iran
2 Associate Prof, Department of Law,Faculty of Administrative Sciences and Economics, University of Isfahan, Isfahan, Iran
3 Assistant Prof, Department of Law, Faculty of Administrative Sciences and Economics, University of Isfahan, Isfahan, Iran
Emphasizing the Kuhnian theory of Paradigms and by applying a transcendental approach focused on the theoretical basis and theory-laden theory, results a contextual understanding for Law and legal propositions. Therefore, this study begins with addressing constitutive elements of Kuhn's doctrine and applying his method to Law and legal propositions. By elaborating different ideas regarding the very concept of Paradigm, we will conclude that what we mean by legal Paradigm is neither a mental context, a strict legal mentality nor simply epistemological, anthropological, normative, and methodological foundations of the legislator which can be chosen arbitrarily.On the contrary, the legal Paradigm is an epistemological context that has a hidden, vivid, inclusive, influential, and harmonizing reality. Finally, and based on this notion of Paradigm's, we try to pursue the paradigmatic doctrine in Iranian civil Law and specifically in legal contracts. This study concludes that importing incommensurable modern west's presuppositions and propositions has led to a deficient paradigmatic shift in Iranian civil Law and specifically concerning the legal contracts. It shows the sovereignty of two parallel (opponent and incommensurable) paradigms. Emphasizing the semantic system of the paradigm in Cohen's thought, and of course with a transcendental view, focused on theoretical foundations and with a theoretical tone, results in a contextual understanding of law and its propositions.
- A) Books
- Butterfield, Herbert (2002), The Whig Interpretation of History, Html edition for ©Eliohs by Guido Abbattista, http://www.eliohs.unifi.it/testi /900/butterfield/ introduction.html
- Cotterrell, Roger (1995), Law’s Community – Legal Theory in Sociological Perspective, Oxford: Clarendon Press.
- Fuller, Steve (2003), Kuhn v. Popper – The Struggle for the Soul of Science, London, Cambridge,Mackays of Chatham plc.
- Hornby A. S (1974), Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary of Current English, Oxford University Press,Oxford.
- Kuhn, Thomas (1970), The Structure of Scientific Revolutions, Chicago: THE University of Chicago press.
- Longman (2013), Longman advanced American dictionary, pearson education limited.
- Merriam-websters (2004), collegiate dictionary, incorporated springfield, Massachusetts, usa.
- Mill, John Stuart, (1882), A System of Logic, Ratiocinative and Inductive, Being a Connected View of the Principles of Evidence, and the Methods of Scientific Investigation, Harper & Brothers, Publishers, Franklin Square.
- Sahotra, Sarkar & Pfeifer, Jessica (2006), Philosophy Of Science:An Encyclopedia,Rouledge, New York & London.
- Sterling, Stephen (2003), Whole systems thinking as a basis for paradigm change in education : explorations in the context of sustainability, University of Bath.
- Wittgenstein, Ludwig (1986), Philosophical Investigations, Translated by G. E. M. ANSCOMBE, BASIL BLACKWELL.
- B) Articles
- Binkovitz Jean (2011), “The Emergence of a New Civil Rights Paradigm”, United Steelworkers v. Weber, available at: http://ssrn.com/abstract =1789210,pp1-8
- Giuliani Adolgo (2019), “What is comparative legal history? Legal historiography and the revolt against formalism, 1930–60” Edward Elgar, 1, pp30-77
- Gurbiel, Agnieszka (2018), “The theory of Kuhna Paradigm and the legal sciences”, World Scientific News, 112, pp.1-13
- Harnay Sophie, Marciano Alon, (2009), “Posner Economics and the Law: From Law and Economics to an Economic Analysis of Law”, Journal of the History of Economic Thought, Vol.31, No. 2, pp.215-232.
- Hoecke Mark Van & Warrington Mark (1998), “Legal Cultures, Legal Paradigms and Legal Doctrine Towards a New Model for Comparative Law”, International and Comparative Law Quarterly, Vol.47, No.3, pp.1-47.
- Huene, Paul Hoyningen (2012), “Philosophical Elements in Thomas Kuhn’s Historiography of Science”, THEORIA, 75, pp. 281-292.
- Melongo pablo, Courtoise y Agustin (2019), “Stepping into the 60s: Tomas Kuhn’s intellectual turn towards the Philosophy of Science”Daimon. Revista Internacional de Filosofía, No. 76, pp. 23-33.
- Mendie Patrick, Ejesi Edwin (2014), “Logical positivist versus Thomas Kuhn”, ResearchGate, pp.1-12.
- Michaels, Ralf (2006), “Two Paradigms of Jurisdiction”, International Law Michigan Journal of International Law, pp.1003-1069.
- Stobbs, Nigel (2011), “The Nature of Juristic Paradigms Exploring the Theoretical and Conceptual Relationship Between Adversarialism and Therapeutic Jurisprudence”, WASHINGTON UNIVERSITY JURISPRUDENCE REVIEW, Vol. 4:97, pp.97-149.
- Torr, Christopher (2000), “The Whig Interpretation of History”, Department of Economics. University of South Africa, SAJEMS NS, Vol. 3 , No. I, pp.52-58.
- Tumonis,Vitalius (2012), “LEGAL REALISM & JUDICIAL DECISION-MAKING”, Jurisprudence, Vol.19, No.4, pp. 1361–1382.
- Vries, Ubaldus (2013), “Kuhn and Legal Research A Reflexive Paradigmatic View on Legal Research”,Recht en Methode in onderzoek en onderwijs, (3) 1, pp7-25.
- Ziegler, Peter, (1998), “A general Theory of Law as a Paradigm for Legal Research, The Modern Law Review”, The Modern Law Review,Vol.51, pp 569-592.
- A) Books
- Duguit, Léon. Leçons de droit public général. Paris. La Mémoire Du Duguit. 2000.
- Ghestin, J. (1993) Traité de droit civil, La formation du contrat, Paris, L.G.D.J. 3e édition
- Terré, F. ph. Simler et Y. Lequette, (2005) Droit civil, Les obligations, Paris, Dalloz, 9e édition
- B) Articles
- Cartier-Marraud (Marie-Laure) osan Akyurek (2009) « Crise économique et révision des contrats, une approche pratique des règles applicables », In. Gazette de Palais, 129 années, N° 165-167, pp. 2-7.
- Chazal, J. P. (2001) « De la signification du mot loi dans l’article 1134 alinéa 1e du code civil », In. RTD. Civ, n° 2, pp. 265-285.
- Ghestin, J. (1981), « L’utile et le juste dans les contrats », In. Archives de philosophie du droit, T. 26, L’utile et le juste, Sirey, pp. 35-57
- Jamin, Ch. (2002), une brève histoire politique des interprétations de l’article 1134 du code civil, in. Recueil Dalloz,pp. 901-907, p. 904
- Mazaud, D. (2007), « Bonne foi », In. Revue des contrats, n° 4, pp. 1110-1115
- Strauss, Léo (2016), « Le droit naturel », traduit par Emmanuel Patard, In. Archives de philosophie, T. 79, pp. 453-484, 460-461.
References In Persian:
- A) Books
- Adamiyat, Fereydoun (1975), Ideology of the Iranian Constitutional Movement, Vol. 1, Tehran: Payam Publication (In Persian).
- Alsharif, Mohammad Mahdi (2013). Logic of law, Tehran: Enteshar co (In Persian).
- Ansari, Morteza (2004), Ketab AlMakaseb, Third part, Qom: Qom Publication (In Persian).
- Bahrami Ahmadi, Hamid (2011), Law of Obligations and Contracts with a Comparative Study in the Jurisprudence of Islamic Religions and Legal Systems, Tehran: Imam Sadegh University Press (In Persian).
- Forum, Eric (2015), Escape from Freedom, translated by Fooladvand, Ezatullah, Tehran: Morvarid Publications, 17th edition (In Persian).
- Hosseinzadeh, Mohammad (2017), Paradigm; Myth or Reality ?, Qom: Imam Khomeini Educational and Research Institute, First Edition (In Persian).
- Kuhen, Thomas (2013), Substantive stress; Essays on Transformation and Scientific Tradition, Translator Ardestani, Ali, First Edition, Tehran, Rokhdad noo (In Persian).
- Lidiman, James (2011), Philosophy of Science, translated by Karami Hossein, Tehran: Hekmat Publications (In Persian).
- Moghaddam Heydari, Gholam Hossein, (2010). Incomparability of scientific paradigms, fourth edition, Tehran: Ney Publishing, third edition (In Persian).
- Montazeri, Hossein Ali (1988), Studies in the Wilayat al-Faqih and the jurisprudence of the Islamic state, Vol. 2, Qom: Tafakor Publications (In Persian).
- Mustashar al-Dawla, Mirza Yusuf Khan Tabrizi, (…), Constitutional Literature, One Word Treatise, Tehran: lithography (In Persian).
- Shahabi, Mehdi (2018), Philosophy of Law Theoretical Foundations of the Evolution of the Legal System from Traditional Law to Modern Law, First Edition, Tehran: Institute of Islamic Culture and Thought (In Persian).
- Tabatabai, Javad (2005), Theory of rule of law in Iran, Tabriz: Sotoudeh Publications (In Persian).
- Tierney, Brian (2017), Religion, Law and the Origin of Constitutional Thought, Translator Badamchi, Hossein, Rasekh, Mohammad, Second Edition, Tehran: Contemporary View (In Persian).
- B) Articles
- Aminizadeh, Mohammad (2014), "kohen Theory and Paradigm shift in criminal law", Criminal Law and Criminology Studies, Vol.1, No.1, pp. 59-81 (In Persian).
- Amiri, Ali Naqi (2018), "The Role of Paradigm in Humanities and Management", Journal of Qom Higher Education Institute, Second Year, No. 7 & 8, Fall and Winter, pp. 137-164 (In Persian).
- Badini, Hassan (2005). "Is the Law of Knowledge Independent?", Journal of the Faculty of Law and Political Science, No. 74, 2006, pp.1-46 (In Persian).
- Bigdeli, Ataullah (2014). "The rule of will in Imamiyeh jurisprudence, the Roman-German system and Iranian law; Basic-Philosophical Introduction, Journal of Islamic Law, Year 16, Issue 1 (41), pp. 125-150 (In Persian).
- Dehaqin Mahdi, Hesamifar Abdolrazzaq, Seif Seyed Massoud, Heidari Mohammad Hassan (2018). "The Relationship between Language Games, Lifestyles, and Human Social Life in Late Wittgenstein," Mind, pp. 113-135 (In Persian).
- Fazaeli, Mohammad Hussein (2014). "The Scope of Shariat and the Role of Custom in Islamic Law", Quarterly Journal of Judicial Law Perspectives, No. 66, pp. 99-124 (In Persian).
- Gamini, Amir Mohammad (2010). "Historiography of Science in Whig Style", Journal of Humanities Methodology, Vol. 16, No. 62, pp. 111-140 (In Persian).
- Hekmatnia Mahmoud, Kazemini Mohammad Hussein (2010). "Introduction to Legal Issues with Emphasis on the Legal System of Women and the Family", Theory of Jurisprudence and Family Law, consecutive 53, pp. 1-30 (In Persian).
- Hosseinzadeh Yazdi, Mohammad (2017). "Paradigm; Myth or Reality (Semantic Analysis, Origin, and Evaluation), Philosophical Knowledge, No. 3, pp. 101-134 (In Persian).
- Jafari Tabar, Hassan (2003). "Introduction to Historiography of Jurisprudence", Journal of the Faculty of Law and Political Science, No. 60, pp. 81-95 (In Persian).
- Kabiri Sarmozdeh, Jafar (2015). "The Concept of Right in the Two Paradigms of Civil Jurisprudence and Western Democracy", Teachings of Civil Jurisprudence, Razavi University of Islamic Sciences, No. 14, pp. 145-166 (In Persian).
- Kant, Immanuel (1991). "What is Enlightenment?", Translated by Homayoun Fooladfar, Kalk D, No. 22, pp. 48-57 (In Persian).
- Karami, Hamed & Mohammadpour, Esmaeil (2019), "Fundamentals of Modern and Traditional Law", Quarterly Journal of Strategic Studies in Jurisprudence and Law, First Year, No. 1, pp. 108-136 (In Persian).
- Majidi, Ibrahim (2010), "Paradigm and Its Impact on Political Science, Looking at Cohen's Opinions", Contemporary Political Essays, Institute of Humanities and Cultural Studies, First Year, Second Issue, pp. 123-143 (In Persian).
- Mansournejad, Mohammad (2005), "Philosophy of Law in Two Meanings", Adalat Ara, No. 2 & 3, pp. 102-119 (In Persian).
- Mobaleghi, Ahmad (2003), "Jurisprudential Paradigms, Jurisprudence and Principles", A New Exploration in Islamic Jurisprudence, Nos. 37 & 38, pp. 3-24 (In Persian).
- Mobaleghi, Ahmad (2004), "The Necessity of Reviewing the Jurisprudential Paradigms", in: An Introduction to Free Thought and Theorizing in Religious Sciences, Qom, Qom Seminary Management Center Publications, pp. 269-293 (In Persian).
- Nouri, Motlagh Ali (2010). "Problem Management Strategy", Islam and Educational Research, No. 2, pp. 87-107 (In Persian).
- Rasekh, Mohammad (2016), "Law, Theory and Education", in: Law and Expediency Articles in Philosophy of Law, Philosophy of Law and Philosophy of Value, Vol. 2, Tehran: Ney Publishing, pp. 105-124 (In Persian).
- Rasekh, Mohammad (2016), "Modernity and Religious Law", in: Law and Expediency Articles in Philosophy of Law, Philosophy of Law and Philosophy of Value, Vol. 2, Tehran: Ney Publishing, pp. 41-74 (In Persian).
- Shafa, Alireza (2013), "Paradigm as a game; Explicit explanation of the scale of paradigms and kohen's influence on Wittgenstein ", Surah Andisheh, 2013, No. 68-69, pp. 116-118 (In Persian).
- Shahabi, Mehdi (1388), "From Traditional Law to Modern Law Reflection on the Principles of the Evolution of the Legal System",Nameh Mofid , Vol.15, No. 76, pp. 70-91 (In Persian).
- Shahabi, Mehdi (2014), "Contract as Hobbesian or Kantian Law: A Reflection on the Validity of the Contracts in the Law of Civil Iran, Iran and France", Legal Studies, Vol. 6, No. 2, pp. 55-94 (In Persian).
- Shahabi, Mehdi (2015), "Contract as a natural (rational) law; Reflections on the Validity of Contract Provisions in the Iranian and French Contract Law Systems", Comparative Law Studies, Vol. 6, No. 2, pp. 601-626 (In Persian).
- Shahabi, Mehdi (2019), "Crisis in the Purpose of Modern Law: A Reflection on the Concept of Progress and Its Relationship with Modern Law", Quarterly Journal of Private Law Studies, Vol. 49, No.1 (In Persian).
- Shahabi, Mehdi (2019), "From Legal Absolutism to Legal Relativism, A Critique of Bruno-Opti Analysis of Conflicting Legal Currents in the Paradigm of Legal Modernity", Quarterly Journal of Public Law Studies, Vol. 49, No. 4, pp. 1089-1108 (In Persian).