Document Type : Article
. Ph.D. Candidate in Public Law, Faculty of Law, Tehran University, college of Farabi, Qom, Iran
Associate Prof of Public Law, Faculty of Law, Tehran University, college of Farabi, Qom, Iran
Assistant Prof of Public Law, Faculty of Law, Shahid Beheshti University, Tehran, Iran
The Constitutional Revolution introduced new concepts to the Iranian society that created a conflict between tradition and modernity. One of the most important confrontations involved the concept of equality. Due to its historical nature, the analysis of this conflict depends on the use of documentary sources from that era. These sources suggest that one of the most challenging issues in period of the Constitutional Revolution was the subject of Article VIII of the Supplement to the Constitution, which provided for "the equal rights of the Iranian people". The adoption of this article caused a controversy that became known as the “jurists’ dispute”. In the traditional Iranian legal system, equality in its new meaning with the distinction between "equality before the law" and "equality in the law", did not exist. As a result of this semantic evolution, legal scholars faced a new concept. Some tried to reduce the new concept of equality to the old meaning of equality, i.e. equality before the law, and called it a result of Islamic rules. On the other hand, traditionalist jurists, referring to the inequality of the rights of Muslims and non-Muslims, considered equality inconsistent with the rules of Islam. In the end, both groups were unable to find the right answer to the question.
- A) Books
- Amuzegar, Jahangir (1991), The Dynamics of the Iranian Revolution: The Pahlavis' Triumph and Tragedy. State University of New York Press.
- Dixon, Keith (1986). Freedom and Equality, the moral basis of democratic socialism, Routledge & Kegan Paul.
- Griffin, James (2008), On Human Rights, Oxford University press.
- Heywood, Andrew, Key Concepts in Politics, First published 2000 by Mac Millan, Press LTD.
- Joseph, Staryer (1970), On The Medieval Origins of Modern state, Prinston University Press.
- lackey, Robert (2015), After legal equality, family, sex, kinship, a glasshose book, First published by routledge.
- Mark Smith, Nicholas (2011), Basic Equality and Discrimination, Reconciling theory and law, published by Ashgate publishing company.
- Pojman, Louis P & Westmoreland, Robert (1997), Equality: selected reading, Oxford University press.
- B) Articles
- H. L. A. Hart (1955), “Are there any natural rights?” The Philosophical Review, Vol. 64, No. 2, Apr, pp. 175-191.
- Rasekh, Mohammad (2007), Theoretical Foundations of Human Rights, Collected Papers of the Second International Conference on Human Rights, 17-18 May 2003, Mofid University, Published by: Mofid University, First Edition: 2007.
- Waldron, Jeremy (2008),”Basic Equality”, New York University Public Law and Legal Theory Working Papers.
References In Persian:
- A) Books
- Adamiyat, Fereydoon, Ideology of Iran’s constitutional revolution, Gostare Publication, 2008 (In Persian).
- Adamiyat, Fereydoun, Ph.d, The Politic Of Reform In Iran(1858-1880),Tehran, Enteshar Publication, 1977 (In Persian).
- Adamiyat, Fereydoun, Ph.d. The Thought of Social Democracy in the Iranian Constitutional Movement, Tehran, Payam Publications, Third Edition, 1984 (In Persian).
- Adamiyat, Fereydoun, Ph.d. Thoughts of Mirza Aga Khan Kermani, Payam Publications, Second Edition, 1978 (In Persian).
- Afary, Janet, Constitutional Revolution of Iran(1906-1911), translate by reza rezayi, Bistoon publication, 2006 (In Persian).
- Etehadiyeh (Nezam Mafi), Mansoura and Pira, Soaad, (2005), Punishments for robbery, theft,etc. (1270-1340 AH) in: Afshar, Iraj and Isfahanis, Karim and Darya Gasht, Mohammad Rasoul, Iranian Studies, Memorial of Dr. Mahmoud Afshar (2005), Volume 15, Containing Forty-One Articles, Tehran, Afshar Endowment Foundation (In Persian).
- Foranm john, Fragile Resistance Social Transformation In Iran From 1500 To The Revolution (In Persian).
- Foroughi, Mohamali, Law In Iran(1960), Republication by Toos publication, vol 1, 2008 (In Persian).
- Foroughi, Mohammad Ali (Zaka-Al-Molk), Constitutional rights (ie) the customs of the constitution of countries, by Ali Asghar Haghdar, Istanbul, online version, first edition, 2017 (In Persian).
- Haghdar, Aliasghar, First parliament and institution of constitutionalism, Meha Namak, 2004 (In Persian).
- Hairi, abdul-hadi, sh,ism and constitutionalism in Iran, Amir Kabir publication, 2013 (In Persian).
- Hampton, jean, political philosophy, translate by Deyhimi, khashayar, Tarhe now Publication. 2001 (In Persian).
- Kadivar, Mohsen, Siyasatname, Politic letters of ayatollah molla mohammad khorasani,Kavir publication, 2008 (In Persian).
- Kasravi, ahmad, History of Iran Constitutional history, vol 1, Amir Kabir publication, 1984 (In Persian).
- Lambton, (1998), Owner and Farmer in Iran, translated by Manouchehr Amiri, Tehran, Elmi And Farhangi publications, fourth edition (In Persian).
- Lambton, A.K.S (1998), Owner and Farmer in Iran, translated by Manouchehr Amiri, Tehran, Scientific and Cultural Publications, Fourth Edition (In Persian).
- Malkam Khan, Mirza, Treatise on the Principles of Arrangements, by Sasan Sepanta, in: Memorial of Mahmoud Afshar Ph.d. (1985), Tehran, Volume One, First Edition (In Persian).
- Mansour Al-Saltanah, Mirza Mustafa Khan, Constitutional Rights or Principles of Constitutionalism, 1948, Publisher: No Specifications (In Persian).
- Mokhber alsaltane, The dawn of constitutionalism, Jam Publication, 1984 (In Persian).
- Mokhber alsaltane, The Report of Iran, Noghre Publication, 1984 (In Persian).
- Mosthashar al-Dawla Sadegh (1982), Historical notes, memoirs and documents of Mosthashar al-Dawla Sadegh, by Iraj Afshar, first edition, Tehran, Ferdowsi Publications (In Persian).
- Mostofi, Abdullah (2009) My Biography or Social and Administrative History of the Qajar Period, Tehran, Zavar Publishing, sixth edition (In Persian).
- Mujtahid Shabestari, Mohammad (2002) A Critique of the Official Reading of Religion (Crises, Challenges and Solutions), Tehran, tarhe now Publications (In Persian).
- Naeini, Mohammad Hussein, Tanbih al-Ummah and Tanzih al-Mellah, corrected and researched by Seyyed Javad Varei, third edition, Qom: Bustan Ketab, 2014 (In Persian).
- Naghibzadeh, Ahmad, Political Party and its Performance in Today's Societies, Tehran: Justice Publishing, 1999 (In Persian).
- Rasekh, mohammad, Ph.d, Rights and Interests, Essays in Jurisprudence and Philosophies of Rights and Values, vol 1, Tehran, tarhe now publication, 2013 (In Persian).
- Rezvani, Homa, letters of sheikh fazlollah noori, History of Iran publication, 1984 (In Persian).
- Tabatabai, Seyed Javad, A Reflection on Iran, An Introduction to the Theory of Iran's Decline, Volume I, Sixth Edition, Tehran: Contemporary View Publishing, 2007 (In Persian).
- The Concept of Law, H. L. A. Hart, transtale by mohammad rasekh, Ney publication, 2017 (In Persian).
- The Dialectic of State and Society in Iran, translate by Alireza Tayyeb, Tehran: Nashr- e Ney, 11th impression, 2014 (first edition 2002) (In Persian).
- Tuck, Richard, Hobbes: A Very Short Introduction, translate by hossein bashiriyeh, tarhe now punlication, 1997 (In Persian).
- Zarei, Mohammad Hossein, 2015, Discourses in Modern Public Law, Rule of Law and Democracy, Khorsandi Publications, First Edition (In Persian).
- Zargarinejad, Gholam Hossein, 1995, Treatises on Constitutionalism (18 treatises and constitutional bills), Tehran, Kavir Publications, first edition (In Persian).
- B) Article
- Abolhassani, Ali (Munzer) (2009), "Letters of the son of the owner of" Arwa tol wasgha"to his father about the constitution and Sheikh Fazlullah Nouri", Letter of the Researchers og History, No. 19 (In Persian).