Document Type : Article
Assistant Prof, Department of Public and International Law, Faculty of Law and Political Science, Allame Tabatabaii University, Tehran, Iran
Ph.D. Student in International Law, Faculty of Law and Political Science, Allame Tabatabaii University, Tehran, Iran
Sand and dust storms deeply affect Middle Eastern countries in social, economic and development terms. Iran and its neighbors are particularly impacted by these storms. Based on the study the international environmental obligations of Iran, Iraq, Saudi Arabia and Turkey, this paper attempts to find a legal solution to the problem of sand and dust storms in the region. International obligations and domestic regulations of other countries in the region have also been studied. Iran, Iraq, Saudi Arabia and Turkey have accepted the responsibility to combat sand and dust storms by undertaking international environmental obligations. However, the main question is how these potential commitments could be transformed into action. To answer this question, the domestic laws and international obligations of these countries must be studied so that the best solutions with the least cost can be presented.
- A) Books
- Fitzmaurice, Malgosia (2009), Contemporary Issues in International Environmental Law, Edward Elgar Publishing Limited.
- Pena, Devon G., (2005), Mexican Americans and the Environment: Tierra y Vida.Tucson, AZ: The University of Arizona Press.
- Sands, Philippe (2003), Principles of International Environmental Law, Cambridge University Press
- Singh, Judge N., (1986), ‘Foreword’, in R. D. Munro and J. G. Lammers (eds.), Environmental Protection and Sustainable Development: Legal Principles and Recommendations, Cambridge University.
- B) Articles
- Anastasia Warokka Kohei Kubo (2015), ZXCVBNM, InternationalCooperation in Environmental Issues; Dream or Strategy?, an online article
- Hiroyuki Taguchi (2011), “Regional Issues in Environmental Management”, in Elzbieta Broniewicz (ed), Environmental Management in Practice, InTech.
- John E. Read (1963), “the Trail Smelter Dispute”, Canadian Yearbook of International Law I.
- Marquina, Antonio (2016)," Environmental challenges in the Mediterranean", earth and environmental sciences, Vol. 37.
- Sedigheh Torabi Palatkaleh (2015), The Haze Problem the Impact of Mismanagement in Shared Water Resources; Case Study in Iran, Dec 04, Available at: http://documents.tips/documents/haze-problem-in-iran.html.
- Von Heinegg, Wolff Heintschel & Donner,Michael, (1994), “New Developments in the Protection of the Natural Environment in Naval Armed Conflicts”, German Yearbook of International Law, Vol. 37.
- C) Documents
- Regulations for preparing and dealing with the harmful effects of dust (fine dust) in the country, 2009, Art. 1 (In Persian).
- Law on the Accession of the Government of the Islamic Republic of Iran to the United Nations Convention to Combat Desertification in Countries Seriously Faced with Drought or Desertification - Especially in Africa, 1996 (In Persian).
- Islamic Criminal Code, 2013 (In Persian).
- D) International Instruments
- Ankara Ministerial Declaration among The republic of Turkey, Islamic Republic of Iran, Republic of Iraq, Syrian Arab Republic on Cooperation in the area of environment and meteorology
- Atmos. J., 2013, Asia-Pacific Sci., 49(3), 279-286,
- C148 - Working Environment (Air Pollution, Noise and Vibration) Convention, 1977 (No. 148)
- Challenges facing Iraq’s Environment , Nature-Iraq House 25, Street 27 Ashti District 104, Sulaimani Kurdistan Region, Iraq,
- The environment protection policy was adopted in the Basic Law of Governance (i.e. Article 32)
- The National Environmental Strategy and Action Plan for Iraq (2013 – 2017), P XI
- Twenty-seventh session of the Governing Council/ Global Ministerial Environment Forum22-28 February 2013/ UNEP Headquarters, United Nations Complex, Gigiri
- UN Iraq, sand and dust storm, JAPU
- United Nations Convention to Combat Desertification in Those Countries Experiencing Serious Drought and/ or Desertification, particularly in Africa,( 1994)
- V. K. Sissakian et al. / Natural Science 5 (2013) 1084-1094
- E) Websites
- Eco_literacg.net/24/8/1396/ecocide/روزبه فیض [last visited 13/11/2017]
- http://knowledge.unccd.int/publications/addressing-sand-and-dust-storms-sdg-implementation [last visited 12/11/2017]
- http://parstoday.com/en/radio/iran-i41626 un_accepts_iran%E2%80%99s_ proposal_on_dust_storm [last visited 11/15/2017]
- http://parstoday.com/en/radio/iran-i41626-un_accepts_iran%E2%80%99s _proposal_on_dust_storm [last visited 17/11/2017]
- http://profdoc.um.ac.ir/articles/a/1019133.pdf2 [last visited 12/11/2017]
- http://rapporteuronline.com/fa/news-details/ [last visited 13/11/2017]
- http://reliefweb.int/sites/reliefweb.int/files/resources/SDS%20Fact%20Sheet.pdf [last visited 12/11/2017]
- http://www.fao.org/neareast/news/view/en/c/248357/ [last visited 12/11/2017]
- http://www.iribnews.ir/fa/news/1657217/ [last visited 10/11/2017]
- http://www.iribnews.ir/fa/news/1657217/ [last visited 13/11/2017]
- http://www.irna.ir/fa/News/82516135 [last visited 13/11/2017]
- http://www.neaspec.org/sites/default/files/DSS_final_0.pdf [last visited 15/11/2017
- http://www.rajaha.com/pollution-definition-introduction-types-pollution/ [last visited 11/15/2017]
- http://www.who.int/occupational_health/publications/en/oehairbornedust3.pdf [last visited 12/11/2017]
- https://financialtribune.com/articles/energy/66059/turkeys-massive-dam-building -creating -problems, 10 June 2017 [last visited 12/11/2017]
- https://hesr.ksu.edu.sa/en/content/prince-sultan-institute-environmental-water-and-desert-research [last visited 12/11/2017]
- https://public.wmo.int/en/our-mandate/focus-areas/environment/sand-and-dust-storm [last visited 01/29/18]
- https://treaties.un.org/Pages/ViewDetails.aspx [last visited 13/11/2017]
- https://www.doe.ir/Portal/home [last visited 01/29/18]
- https://www.saudi.gov.sa/wps/portal/snp/pages/environmentalProtection [last visited 12/11/2017]
- Mohammaddarvish.com>desert>archives-1394/2/5 [last visited 12/11/2017]
- www. irandeserts.com>contentgallery-1391/3/21 [last visited 12/11/2017]
References In Persian:
- A) Books
- Abdoulahie, Mohsen; Mashhadi, Ali & Faryadi, mashoud (2012), The law of air protection, First edition, Tehran: Mizan publication (In Persian).
- Akhavan Kazemi, Bahram (2006), Security in the Islamic political order, first edition, Tehran: Kannon Andisheh Javan (In Persian).
- Maleki, Abbas (2014), Energy Policy, First edition, Tehran: Ney publication (In Persian).
- Moin, Mohammad (1992), A persian dictionary, Tehran: Amir Kabir publication, first chapter (In Persian).
- Mojtahed zadeh, Pirouz (2007), political geography and geopolitics, Second edition, Tehran: Samt publication (In Persian).
- B) Articles
- Alizadeh, Imran, Pishgahifarahra (2011), “Environmental security and the evolution of the concept of security in the 21 century”, Journal of Geographical Perspective , 6th year, No. 14 (In Persian).
- Bayat, Freshteh, others (2011), “Sand and dust phenomena and its effectsbon agriculture”, The first international congress on the phenomenon of dust and dealing with its harmful effects, Ahvaz :Ramin University (In Persian).
- Lotfi, Haidar; Nami, Mohammad Hassan; Hassanpour, Jafar & Bahiraei, Hamid (2011), “Environmental security and national security policy”, New Attitudes in Human Geography (Human Geography) Journal, Garmsar University (In Persian).
- Marsafari, Firouzeh; Asoudar, Mohammad Amin & Kordi, Sajjad (2011), “Elemnts forming sand and dust storm and its effects on agricultural industry”, The first international congress on the phenomenon of dust and dealing with its harmful effects, Ahvaz :Ramin University (In Persian).
- Mashhadi, Ali (2009), “Legal study of the increase of particulate matter in Iran and neighboring countries”, Iranian Yearbook of International and Comparative Law, Vol . 5 (In Persian).
- Shahsoni, Abbas, and others (2011), “Effects of dust storms on health and the environment”, The first international congress on the phenomenon of dust and dealing with its harmful effects, Ahvaz :Ramin University (In Persian).
- Zarifi, Koukab & Asoudar, Mohammad (2011), “Investigating the process of climate change and its effects on different sectors”, The first international congress on the phenomenon of dust and dealing with its harmful effects, Ahvaz: Ramin University (In Persian).